Question

beaz012001

Student Loan Default 4+ years ago.
I defaulted on 3 student loans over four years ago and for almost 3.5 years now I've been able to pay the monthly payment each month quite easily. Some of them i've actually been paying more than the monthly payment requires. I can afford my lifestyle and am doing well finacially, but these defaulted loans from years ago are really hurting my credit score. Is there anything I can do (besides paying them in full cause total = $35k) to make this actually help my credit? If it weren't for these loans i know my credit would be at an excellent standing. Please help!

Most Helpful Response

Continual regular payments on these loans will put positive marks on your credit report. It's only been four years, and positives showing over 6-7 years will make the negatives vanish.

The big problem with student loans now is that, unlike other financial transactions, they cannot be discharged in bankruptcy and remain collectable until paid in full. Other potential creditors know this and it makes them jumpy, but showing a long history of regular payments to offset the previous default will ease their minds.