Statute of Limitations on old Medical Bills reported to Credit Bureau in Florida?
I just received a letter from a collection company (Convergent Healthcare Recoveries, Inc.) who apparently bought an old medical debt (around $1000). I Googled the company and they appear to be a trolling company that buys old debt for 10 cents on the dollar and tries to collect. The "date of service" for the debt is listed as January, 2005. Clearly, that is 9 years ago, which excedes the statute of limitations for litigation.

The debt is NOT currently showing on my credit report, and I'm not certain if it ever was. I believe it was (and dropped off a few years ago), but I'm looking for some old copies of my credit report to confirm this.

While I'm sure the statute of limitations has exceded regarding litigation, how does it pertain to reporting to the credit bureaus?

It is my understanding that a debt like this can only be reported for 7 years. Does this mean that the new collection company cannot report this debt to the credit bureaus now? Can they consider it a "new" debt since they just bought it? What if this debt was never reported to the credit bureaus?

I have found several websites discussing statute of limitations but they all seem to be concerned with law suits and not credit reports.

I did find some good info (with form letters) about disputing the debt and requesting a "validation of the debt".

At this point my main concern if weather they can report this old debt on my credit report. As you know, once it gets reported it takes forever to dispute it and have it removed.

And just to be clear, at no time did I make a payment, agree to make a payment or any other agreement that would have reactivated or restarted the aging process of the debt.

Most Helpful Response

Search "Statute of Limitations for Collections" and find your state in the list. In very few states, it's 10 years but the majority vary from 4-6 years.

If the SOL has expired, send these trolls a letter telling them the SOL is expired and they are forbidden by law to attempt collection.

Don't bother with validating the debt if the SOL has expired.  The fact of its expiration is all you need.

They should not be reporting to the credit bureaus but you can only find out if you make it a habit to annually check all three credit reports.  I suggest you begin doing so now.