Question

anderson1795

Should I pay off student loans in full right now or stretch out payments to improve credit?
I have 30k in student loans that will start being due soon. I have the ability to pay them off and be done with them. Should I do this or stretch out the payments to attain a credit history? I currently have an average credit rating with a short credit history (~1.5 yrs).

Most Helpful Response

Would say to stretch it out over a year,  two years if you can.    would be a nice payment history.  Would pay 50% up front  and split the rest over the 12 to 24 months.  ( thats me,  sure other might do it different )

I would recommend paying off the loans entirely. There are free ways to build credit. Do not pay off any loans until they're due, but if you have the funds to pay them entirely, it's a smart play. If you want to build credit, just get a no-fee credit card and pay off the balance every month. You shouldn't have to pay interest if your goal is to have a credit history.