Question

LoanMinnow

Should I pay off student loans if they are my only loan source?
I am aggressively paying off my 5 student loans. I plan on having them paid off in under 2 years. They are my second oldest account (3.5 years). My oldest credit card is about 6.5 years. I have no other fixed loans (no car, house etc). I am worried about 2 things
1) Closing the accounts will make overall age of credit younger.
2) Not having a diversified credit (only revolving)
I was thinking about keeping ~$50 in each loan account and paying ~$1 a month. That way I will still be making payments, the interest won't amount to much and I can keep that loan type open for a while.
Should I do this?

Most Helpful Response

When repaying student loans, there is usually a minimum payment scheduled so you may not be able to get away with a $1/mo payment as you propose.  Best to get them paid off as quickly as possible and work on building a more diversified credit portfolio after these loans are out of the way.  

Do it!

Pay off those suckers. Eliminating debt allows you to focus your extra funds on investments and cash purchases. Who knows, maybe you could purchase a home in cash in the process.