Question

JTheButcher

Should I even apply for a credit/charge card?
Hi,

So I just moved to the US on a green card and got introduced to the whole credit system round here. Thing is of course there is the catch 22 of needing credit to get a score to even apply for a credit card.

Now I haven't been here for a year yet, and still haven't filed taxes (next year will be my first time), but I am an authorized user on my wife's credit card. Because of that I can see my score on CK (well my VantageScore). I also got preselected for a couple of secured cards from my bank, and CK is saying that I have good odds on a couple of cards out there.

Considering that I don't have much of a history, even though it's starting to build and that I haven't filed taxes yet, but I do have a very decent income, should I even consider applying for a card before next year? Would applying for an AMEX charge card higher my chances?

Any advice on this would be great.

Do NOT ever apply for any credit products solely base on Credit Karma's approval odds and recommendations. It's more or less a marketing scheme.

-

To establish your credit is to get a secured credit card.

Te best thing to do would be to open a checking savings account with a bank keep good amount of money in there for a couple of months and then ask them for a card. It's what I did and I'm in the same predicament as you.

i was turned down twice already for lack of a credit history and my chances of approval said good 

I would go the route of a secured card, although, you have the benefit of being an authorized user on your wife's card.  Thus, you inherited her age of credit and her line of credit and hopefully her good utilization.   You have a leg up on others.   Applying for the AMEX will not improve your chances of getting other cards.   AMEX is not the premium indicator that it was 30-40 years ago.  Having an AMEX card back in the day meant you had made it.   Today, AMEX is just another credit card.   Yes, it has its benefits.    You should select a card you are interested in and go to that vendor's website to see if they have a prequalification and see if you qualify.  If you get a yes there, you may be ok.   Keep your card down to just one until you get a good handle on managing it.   Don't worry about the taxes, its your income that they will be interested in.  As a newby, i'd suggest Capital One or if you are a Walmart shopper, you can go for the Walmart Mastercard (its good everyplace)