Question

nparris88

Should I apply for more credit?
I'm 27 and my boyfriend is 29, and I had a question about the best way to continue rebuilding our credit after making dumb mistakes as teenagers.

I've spent the last 7-8 years trying to make up for it, and it's been slow going. I had some collection accounts (5, all less than $500) and two judgments (for a lease we broke after our roof leaked for 3 months, but didn't keep enough documentation to show we tried to get it fixed first) but my boyfriend's credit is mostly clean, just not a lot to it.

Positive, we each were able to get some crummy credit cards that have been current and less than 30% usage for about two years, plus two new "better" cards once our scores allowed for it. We had one loan now paid off, never late over 1 year, and a car that is now paid off and was never late over 6 years... but our scores are still sitting in the 620 range. We'd like to buy a house in the next year or so.

I know applying for a lot of new credit is supposed to be bad, but both of our score card things here say we have too few accounts. Should I be trying for another card or some other line of credit for each of us? We have a furniture loan that will be paid off soon, I have two cards now and he has 3. The newest one for each of us was opened earlier this year.