Question

hanitalina

Removing Parking Tickets on Credit Report
Hello everyone -
I recently noticed that there are 4 accounts from DC parking listed on my credit report. I called the collection agency to ensure these are accurate and pay them off if they are mine. While the 4 parking tickets were reported as four separate collection accounts, the collection agency told me that in order to get them removed they must all be paid. Meaning, if I pay off one collection account, it will not be removed until the other three are paid. This does not seem fair nor correct. (DC gov't has agreed to remove tickets from reports once they're paid: http://dmv.dc.gov/service/ticket-collections) My question is, how are they legally allowed to tie one collection account to another if they are reporting separate collection accounts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I definitely can understand your frustration with this and while I did not read the link you provided, I would say that if the DC gov't says that tickets will be removed once paid, then I would say that this collection company is violating the law, but is this stipulation for DC reporting the tickets or a collection agency? I am assuming that the DC gov't does not report anything itself and only a collection company would, but if DC reports in addition to having collection companies report, then this law may only be for the accounts that DC reports.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You have a couple of options, you could call a consumer law attorney and see if you can sue them for FDCPA violations if any have occurred, you could contact the government officials, attorney general, better business bureau, etc. and report this collection company. Or you could save up the money and pay all of the collections and get it all taken care of at once. You want all of these off of your reports anyway, so I would just try to get them all paid and removed as soon as you can and it would probably help you avoid a lot of headaches otherwise. Personally, I would probably call an attorney that deals with FDCPA cases (fair debt collection practices act) and run this by them, I would also file reports with any government agency appropriate and I would pay all of them off and get them removed.