Question

artgal7

Removed Collections - Can /Should I Negotiate?
I found that a "Removed Collection" for a credit card with a $640 balance (reported removed in 2014) appears in my credit. There is an explanation for the charges on the card which would likely not make a difference. Situation is that my husband used the card without my knowledge. He is now deceased. I've worked hard to recover from his medical bills over the past several years and my score is looking much better as a result (780 TU / 764 EQ). In the near future I will need to apply for a rental lease and possibly a loan. I see this "Removed Collection" as hurting my chances for approval.

My question is whether I should do anything about it? The last thing I want is to have any actions lower my score. If the collection is reported as "Removed", can/should I attempt to negotiate with the collection agency and, if so, how will doing so impact my score? I'm in Florida ..Does anyone know how long this will remain in my report? I should also say that I recently inquired on a Credit Karma "Pre-Approved Loan" offer through Discover. I have an excellent record of paying on my Discover Card throughout the entire 15 yr history of the acct., yet the loan was declined.

Can anything be done to have this permanently removed in short time?
Any advice is much appreciated.

If its over 2 years old,

it won't even be considered in most loan applications.  The fact that it was charged off makes little difference.

If the info is accurate, you can't get it taken off anyway.

If anything, its considered neutral.  It's debt you no longer owe, no matter the reason.

First, on your actual credit reports there is not a "removed collections" category, that is only a Credit Karma thing. Lenders do not see what Credit Karma is showing. I advise going directly to the credit bureaus to look at your reports or go to annualcreditreport. If you do not see this collection account listed on your reports, it is gone. The credit reporting time period for most collection accounts is seven years in every state with the exception of paid collections in New York state, they will go away in five years. The "statute of limitations" is what varies among states, but that has to do with the time period you can be sued for a debt and has nothing to do with the credit reporting time period. Continue to read all that you can about credit, how to build and rebuild it. There are probably many things that you can do to make improvements to your credit not even pertaining to the collection that you are addressing. If you do still find this collection on your reports, do some reading on "pay for delete agreements", but if it will fall off soon, it may be best to ignore it and let it fall off. You can always contact the credit bureau and ask them when it is scheduled to be removed if you are in doubt.