Question

Titoincali

Question about hard inquiries
Last October I searched around for a car loan. All inquiries were done within a one week period. My understanding is that you get some forgiveness when the inquiries are all within a short amount of time looking for loans. But my search shows up as 6 different hard inquiries. 2 are from the same car dealership. Did I misunderstand how this would work? Is there anyway to minimize how this looks on my credit report?

Hi Titoincali,

By law, your credit report must list each creditor that has reviewed your credit reoprt for the purpose of opening a new account. However, inquiries conducted during a certain time frame (typically one month of for auto loans) are score together, as a single inquiry. This reduces the impact on your score. 

Hope that clears up any confusion!