Question about applying for a credit card.
I have two main issues. I haven't had a bank in the states for about 5 years. I use to use US Bank, but I left and I had a balance - I believe it's like $300 when the account was charged off (I know I need to pay this) and I had a US Bank credit card at about $3k charged off maybe 5 years ago.
My last bank accnt was in Puerto Rico with no trouble, but due to inactivity that accnt was closed. I left for 8 months and didn't use it. No negative balance though. I've tried getting 1 bank account in the states and it didn't go through because of the US Bank charge off.
So my questions are if some banks are better, maybe a credit union to try to open an account with a closed/negative balance at another bank. Has anybody had any success doing this?
And, my credit was terrible, something like 450's two years ago - I've been working on it, taking care of student loans, some debts and it's now up to 650's according to CreditKarma. (Both scores taken from CreditKarma.) I am thinking of doing one of the credit cards they recommend to build credit - use it and pay it off, or the minimum whichever is best to raise credit. But, I don't want to apply for a credit card and have it negatively effect my credit score if it's unlikely I will be accepted due to my previous charge offs with US Bank. Anybody ever been in this situation and had success? I did the preapproval on the CapitalOne website because that was the CreditKarma recommendation. Quicksilver One CapitalOne Card. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Credit Union the way to go !

I'd definately check out a credit union - since credit unions don't have stockholders and they are a co-op that are owned by their members. Like many things, there are good credit unions and bad ones. So ask around ! Most CU's have a "fresh start" credit card program - where you'll make a deposit into a checking account and then you'll be issused a credit card on that balance. Most CUs have them in such a way that it reports as a regular credit card - not a secured card - on your credit report. After 12-16 months of on-time payment, most CU will convert you to a regular card without the collateral of a deposit. 

Some hazards to watch out for, avoid "secured" cards offerred by banks since they come with high application and annual cardholder fees and are landmines with fees. Also, some of these banks don't convert you to a conventional card when you demonstrate a track record of on-time payments.

As long as you aren't on the bank "bad boy" list like Check Systems, you should be okay in opening a credit card. Check Systems is used by banks for people who reguarlly overdraw their checking account. Being in that system, means your chances of getting a checking account is slim to none.