Question

Posted in Taxes

steveweve

PUBLIC RECORDS: How to tell if leins against me (03 & 06) are still active? ...and who placed them
My credit report(here on Karma) shows two leins ; however, its doesnt show if they are still active or who placed them? Do they automatically end? Or, if not, can I tell if they are no longer active? How does this work

Most Helpful Response

They're public record.

Leins exist only after some type of court action and, if the lien is against you, you should have received some notification of the action.  The lien will remain in place until it is satisfied (paid off).

Did you have unpaid taxes?  Or child support or alimony?  Those are some of the potential lien actions.

Get your 3 credit reports and go over them carefully.  If there is something you do not know, dispute it.  It's not unusual for errors to be made on a credit report. 

You might also want to check with the court clerk to see if any liens are on record.

Hope you can get this question resolved.

Help on tax lien

I have a state tax lien from the state of Alabama. My husband owned a business there, but I have never lived there, and was not an owner of this business. Each time I dispute it on my credit report it comes back verified, so I finally sent a letter to the state of Alabama asking for verification of this lien, and what the heck it is for. If I do not get a response back, can I have this item removed? How long do I need to give for verification, and if I get no verificiation, what are my next steps? It isn't for a huge amount of money, so if it is verified, I would like to set up a payment plan to get it taken care of, but I can't imagine what sort of tax lien I would have for a state I've never been a resident of, and a business I never owned.