Preventing something from going to collections
Two negative items on my various credit reports (I got my free copies from each of the bureaus) are old hospital bills that have been turned over to collections. They are now old enough it would hurt my credit more to just pay them. I may do a letter offering to pay them for removal but that's still to be decided.

But for the last 2 1/2 years, I have been sending the hospital $50 a month on my last ER event. They have been applying the money to various accounts that I didn't realize I had. I sent them a certified letter on March 19th demanding a written listing of my open accounts and the balances. They called me but did not give me an answer to my question. I have not received any written correspondence from them. I don't want these accounts to go to collections but I need to know balances so I know how long to continue paying. And for all I know, some of these accounts may have been turned over to collections. What would be my next step?