Paying off medical Debt
I have a few medical debts in collections. I have already sent the collection agencies a "Pay to Delete" letter. 3 have come back and stated they would not.The bills total about $1700 between them all. The highest being $757 and the lowest being $101.

I'm afraid that if I pay them (which I'm ready to do) that my credit score is going to drop when I'm trying so hard to bring it up. I've already gotten a credit card with a $400 limit that has increased my score already, which is nice.

Do I try to contact the Dr. office or Hospital directly for the "Pay to Delete" instead?
The bills are under 2 years old, so I can't just let them drop off. I really need to get these paid for and my credit fixed??

Most Helpful Response

I would suggest sending debt validation letters. Asking the collection agencies to validate the debt and ask for detailed documentation for services rendered. Send via certified mail return reciept. They cannot provide this information as it is a direct violation of HIPPA regulations if they do so. They may then return it to the origional creditor or just delete it. If they do Validate then they can face charges and fines as it is a direction violation of HIPPA.

I recently did this by accident, I had over $700 in collections from during my pregnancy and was getting notices. I had not only Blue Cross Blue Sheild but I also had pregnancy medicaid that paid for any balance after my inscurance through work left. All I did was ask for an origional bill so that I could submit it to the medicaid, they declined and told me they had no choice but to delete it. Deletion was great although it was not my goal nor the inscurance they were happy to pay but I did not realize that it would be a HIPPA violation to provide me with what I needed for them to pay.

Best of luck

if they are in collections

Then the original creditor sold the account and has no legal right to talk to you about it or collect any money on it, 

You have to deal with the creditors.  Pay to delete usually works when the accounts are old. generally over 4 or 5 years.  

You will probably have to bite the bullet and pay them off and then just wait till they fall off.  Since you already have a credit card, your score will rebound much sooner than if you just paid them off and weren't already rebuilding your credit.  Just don't over extend yourself and make those payments on time.

Good Luck

Collection agwencies are not obligated to give a "Pay for Delete".  It is their choice.  Actually, those medical bills are not that much, especially since a visit to the emergency room can easily go over $1000.  The Doctors offices already sold the debt to the collection agency and wrote off any losses on their taxes.  They won't be interested in handling the debt any longer.  So your best option is to work on paying off the debt as quickly as possible.