Question

QuidProNihil

Original creditor responding to letter written to debt collector?
I received a letter from a company that identified itself as a debt collector, and I sent back a fairly standard validation letter. So far so good.

The response I received was from the original creditor, essentially making the case that because they were the original creditor, the FDCPA doesn't apply to them. In fact, verbatim as of their most recent letter, they claim they are "not obligated to provide the documentation you have requested". - The information I requested including the amount of the debt and whether or not they were licensed to collect debt in my state, etc. Their response felt as if I had written directly to them. There have been countless letters back and forth at this point, which have since my first response to THEIR first response basically consisted of me asking them why they answered a letter addressed to someone else, and them refusing to acknowledge that they did such a thing in the first place, AND further refusing to provide any information about the alleged debt, demanding further information about WHY I am disputing the debt. As I understand it, the onus is on them to prove I owe it, and not the other way around, is that not so? Or rather it should be on the "debt collector", if said debt collector even really exists?

Is this something that happens often or...well, ever? Are they just trying to besiege me into paying them in exasperation? I am unsure of how to proceed at this point...we've spent at least half a year trading letters back and forth, and I would really like some form of resolution, or at least forward progress.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!