OPEN account AND collection account on report?
Hi All,

In my younger foolish university days I moved out of a house with $500 (on the dot) in an unpaid utility bill. It has since been moved to collections

However, the original utility provider appears as an OPEN ACCOUNT with a $0 balance on TransUnion ONLY.

The collections account appears with the $500 balance on BOTH TransUnion and

I wish to get the collections settled and REMOVED from my credit record... but i am wondering what to do about the open account.

I am planning to contact the collections agency (i still have 3.5 more years to hit the 7 year window), and attempt to negotiate: 1) a lower lump-sum payment and 2) the REMOVAL (rather than closure) of the collections account. Then, I plan to contact the utility company, indicate to them that I paid off the collection agency, and to please report the account as closed to TransUnion.

It is my goal to have my report accurately reflect the closed status of the original account, and to have the collections account completely removed.

Is this a good strategy? Since the original account is listed as still open (though with a $0 balance), should I try to contact the utility company first, then dispute the collections accounts? Any advice is appreciated! Thank you all in advance!!

First thing to do is to dispute the open utility account with transunion. Go to the website for Transunion and you will find instructions on how to do a dispute. The account is showing incorrect info and should be disputed as it is not an open account. Hopefully, if you are lucky, the account will be deleted rather than updated. Definitely give that a go first. Then contact the collections company with a "pay for delete" offer and keep asking even if told no (not with the same rep, call back every couple days, write letters, etc.). Or, if you can find anything inaccurate about the collections account or if you don't think that they have the paperwork on the debt, dispute the collections too. Do some reading on "debt validation" as they may not be able to validate it and you can get it removed that way. I wish you the best of luck and rememeber to read all that you can on this and be patient and persistant until you get what you are requesting.

don't forget experian! there is a third agency, named experien. CK only uses transunion and equifax. i'd look into them also to see what they are reporting. for me personally, i don't close accounts if they want to leave them open and in good standing. i mean i close them with the company, but if they want to report as open and in good standing, fine by me. closing old accounts that are in good standing can hurt your credit. part of your score is based on history of accounts. something to keep in mind.