Question

financiallyperplexed

Offered Exemption on Non-Existent Student Loan
I received a call stating I was eligible for exemption on a student loan of mine. I have never taken out a loan, let alone a student loan. Has my identity been compromised? How should I proceed?

I would strongly suggest getting copies of all three credit reports to make sure there is no wrong information showing (which is something we should all do once a year

jwsister

Sorry, crazy computer is acting up.  As I was saying, check the credit reports (annualcreditreport.com) and file disputes on all WRONG information.  That way, the errors will be checked and deleted.

​Hope you keep your Social Security card locked in a safe place and not in your wallet since you seldom have to actually present that card, but that number is candy to an ID thief.