Question

chriscook75

My score is 532. I have a tax lien that I am paying. Is there a card I can get approved for?
I haven't had a credit card since 2002. So in the last 6 months, I have tried applying for credit cards and have been denied every time, which makes my credit score go lower because these are hard inquiries. I have a state tax lien that I am currently paying off and a federal tax lien that has been paid and released. Is this why I am being denied? Is there a credit card out there that I have a good chance of being approved? My goal is to build a good credit history and make my score go up.

The tax leins are a matter of public record and they may be having a strong effect against you on your credit score and will do so until at least 7 years have passed since final payment.  That  is the usual time frame potential creditors usually check to determine credit worthiness. There could be other factors affecting your credit, too, such as late payments, any bankruptcies less than 10 years old or student loans.  If you haven't checked your credit reports recently, please go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  Look them over very carefully and file disputes on all wrong information with the credit bureau they're shown on.  Since errors aren't uncommon, this can help you raise your score some.

When there is a low score, the 'secured' credit card is often the only one you might be able to get.  If you can go through your own bank or credit union, that would be great, otherwise check the credit card list on this site to find one.  You have to deposit a few hundred dollars in the issuer's bank and that is your credit limit.  Proper usage and prompt repayment will help your score climb to where you can eventually qualify for "regular" credit cards. 

First: stop applying.

your chances of getting approved with any kind of lien on your report are pretty low.  I would put all my energy into getting that lien paid off before trying for any credit card or loan. 

If you have been denied for a credit card, you should not apply for any other new cards for at least 6 months.  That denial is a red flag to any other creditors. If they see you were denied, they won't even consider your application.  The hard inquiries don't help either. 

Once that lien is paid off. Then try for a secured card with your bank or credit union.