My score decreased 43 points when only positive things happened.
My scored dropped 43 points and what happened this month is a credit card I have increased my limit by 3000, on their own, and I have lower credit utilization. Everything paid on time. These changes should be positive to my score, right?

Most Helpful Response

Possible Reasons

I agree that you shouldn't worry too much about every change in your score because it constantly goes up and down. Especially because credit utilization and vary a lot from month to month. You should regularly look for errors in your report and pay more attention to your score when applying for new credit.

That being said, the drop in your score could be due to your credit report not being updated yet. You should check for any discrepancies in your report to see if there is something else causing the drop and to see if it is up to date with your current credit limit and utilization. If these good changes are new, give it time to show up on your report. Also, the balance shown on your credit report depends on the date your bank reports your balance. You could pay your balance in full on the due date each month (and not have to pay interest), but your credit report will still show the balance reported on the statement closing date.

My score dropped 40 points

Good things happened to my credit too but my score dropped 40 points, I am so upset, trying to keep at least a 730+, I paid my credit cards off, and as I paid them off Equifax and Transunion removed the accounts from my credit report.

Credit bureaus will not remove paid accounts unless the debts are included in a bankruptcy proceeding.  Or, 7 years has passed but, even then, accounts can stay in your credit profile for more than 7 years.  This is a good thing because it shows a paid account and also helps with age of accounts.  

Not sure if you are doing this but a common mistake by many is the belief that you can pay your credit card balances in full each month and it will reflect positively on your credit profiles.  The credit bureaus pull your balance from the statement date of your account, not your due date.  So if your due date is the 5th of the month and you pay it in full, then you have a zero balance as of your dude date which is obviously a good thing because you are paying zero interest.  But your credit score is based on the balance of your statement date, not your due date, which is always 1-5 days after your due date.  If you pay your account in full by the 5th but then go out and ring upcharges before the 10th (or whatever your statement date happens to be), your credit utilization will be affected and, therefore, your fico score.

Stop worrying

Credit scores swing.  Up then down, then up.  If you are paying your statement balance in full every month you're using credit properly and as you continue to do this, your score will increase.

Of course, make sure there isn't a suddend bad thing on your report.  But after that, quit worrying about it.

Shouldn't one have an utilization of 1 to 10% on their credit cards instead of 0-meaning having the balance PIF every month?

I obtained my first loan when I was 16 y/o, my father of course had to cosign. I'm 56 now and have never needed a cosigner since. I've never worried about my credit score, and yes, I've had my turbulent times over the years, unexpected loss of a job, unexpected major medical, etc. I've fallen behind and then played catch-up with bills and I've also had nice long runs with no major negative curve balls thrown my way that life likes to throw at you out of the blue from time to time. The thing is, whenever I've needed a loan, I simply applied for it, 90% of the time I received it, the only two times that I can recall being turned down for a loan, I went to a different bank and applied with no problem and both times on the same day that the original creditor turned me down. If the financial institute has money to loan and your credit isn't a complete mess, 9 times out of 10, you'll get the loan. Hey, how about that, 9 times out of 10... 90%. Works for me.

P.S. I signed up on this CreditKarma just to check it out, about one third of the information on me is either missing or incorrect, Hmm.... imagine that. Take Care! Life's too short to worry too much, and CreditKarma is definently one not to let get under your skin.