Question

VHoti4

My report says: we can't find your credit on file, what should I do to start building good credit? I
I worked for many years. Had a bank account then was forced to close bc I was laid off. And now I'm unemployed and would like to somehow build my credit. Any advice ? Which cc company to try for low rates.

Being employer or having bank accounts has nothing to do with your credit. You should try to find a secured credit card that reports to the bureaus.

Secure Cards

As a person that recently started to build my credit, I would recomend to start with secured cards like capital one or us bank. Both report to the 3 bureaus and the interest is not that bad, also they have no annual fee or at least they didn't when I got them about 2 years ago.

You can start with $300 deposit or I think $200 with us bank. Capital one will increase your credit line when they see it fits, us bank holds your money as a savings account so you will gain interest, not sure how much but all the info is in their website.

Don't make the same mistake I made, don't apply for CCs that are not secured, they will deny it and that makes your credit go even lower.

I hope it helps.