Multiple Collection Agencies on my credit report with the same amount listed
I have pulled my credit report from the three bureaus. Each one is majorly different. There are also multiple creditors with exactly the same amounts due. I want to add that all of my debt is medical debt from circumstances that I could not afford or control at the time. I want to know if it is legal for multiple credit agencies to pursue me for the same account? Is it legal for multiple credit agencies to to leave information on my credit report if they don't actually own the account? I don't know how to begin to straighten this out so I can begin paying these debts. I'm not sure who I actually owe to pay. Also some of the accounts say closed on experian, aren't listed on Transunion at all and say open on equifax.
Can anyone over some help? Also please don't respond with anything rude, this situation is hard enough. Thank you :)