Mom got me in debt, can I tell the truth & file bankruptcy without sending her to jail?
My mother has a credit and gambling problem. After her first bankruptcy (and I had a child while in highschool and was living with her- yeah, I know) she started taking cards in my name without telling me about it. Once I did find out, she guilted me about letting me stay there. Before I knew it, I was 25,000 in debt, and physically disabled- I moved out but I'm doing pretty good to pay my own bills. I need to file bankruptcy, so my fiance and I can get married and find a nice place to live. Can I be truthful about this without her being charged for fraud? I can't pay it, she won't pay it (and can't seem to hold onto money long enough to help out a bit before it goes into slots) so it needs to be taken care of, but I'm afraid I'll go in and they'll ask me how I got (35k now) into debt and as I've only ever used $2,000 of credit ever, and that was medical expenses, I won't have an answer.