Question

dpf1

just got new discover card. should i apply for a capital one or wait

Most Helpful Response

I'd wait...

I just had this exact same scenario.  I received my Discover Card and applied for a Capital One card right after (which got denied).  The credit score on my rejection notice was much lower than it had been just a month earlier.  I think a couple things about receiving the Discover Card (the hard pull and the changed credit usage) very briefly lowered my credit score out of the range of the Capital One card.  It has since bounced right back, but I am without the Capital One card and wasted a hard pull on that application.

Monitor your credit for a month or two and make sure it's exactly where you want it before you apply for another card.  That's my suggestion, anyway.

The other idea would be to completely sure you even really want that other card.  In the long run, more accounts helps your rating.  But in the short run, more new accounts reduces your average credit length and will hurt your score.