Question

EmsLemonds

Just got a collection notice from 6 years ago, what do I do?!
Ok so this is the strangest thing. About 6 years ago, I was sent to the E.R. because I fainted at work. I just started the new job so I hadn't got insurance yet. I only spent a couple hours and went home. Well not having money to pay off the amount and of course not having insurance the account went to collection and hurt my credit score. When I found out I was proactive in paying off what I thought were all the collections, and writing letters to have them removed from my report. All but one agency agreed to remove it so it definitely helped my credit score. A few months ago, I had another bout in the hospital, but had insurance. Unfortunately, I guess I didn't realize that some accounts went into collections. I contacted the creditors to verify the information and they said it hadn't been sent to the bureaus yet. So to my utmost surprise I JUST received a collection noticed from my original hospital stay 6 YEARS ago. Its from Phoenix Financial, which sounds so familiar to me for some reason. I feel like I might have disputed them and they went away, but I'm not sure. I have no clue why I would receive this notice from them. I'm afraid that maybe they realized I was calling around about new accounts and tracked me down that way? Is that possible? I really don't know what to do but I certainly don't want to pay if I don't owe anything. In my report it shows that I have paid off every debt. Including from the same services I initially received, however this new letter is claiming its from that service. I'm not sure what to do..

The "statute of limitations" has most likely expired on this debt, double check your state laws, but most likely you are legally "off the hook". If this account is six years old, the law states it can only remain for another year. There is a thing called "Early Exclusion" with the credit bureaus where you can get negative accounts removed slightly prior to the seven year mark, so do some reading on that. You could dispute this account if you feel that they do not own it or if you do not feel that you owe it or if you see incorrect information on the account. A dispute with the credit bureaus reporting the account may be enough to make this disappear. You could also try to get a "pay for delete agreement" if you really needed it to go away asap, but I would let it ride as time is on your side in this case.