Question

Posted in Banking

Ducky167

Joint Checking Account With Person who has Bad Credit
I'm interested in opening a standard checking account at 5th/3rd Bank with my mother, but she has terrible credit. I'm not sure if my credit will be affected by hers even though I'm just opening a joint account with her. I've never had a credit card or taken out a loan, and when I have Credit Karma check my credit, it says my information can't be found. I'm really worried that my credit will go down if I open this account with her

Don't worry.

The bank account has nothing to do with your credit score. Now, if you were to open a credit card and authorize your mother to use that account, THAT could have a bad effect on your credit. But the bank account has nothing to do with credit,so shouldn't be a problem at all.  

Why would you advise the poster of this question that adding his/her mother to a credit card would hurt his/her scores????? I would believe that you know better than this.

Bank accounts have nothing to do with your credit, so no worries there. On another note though, you have NO credit and that is not good. You should do some reading on how to build credit. Once you educate yourself on how to build credit you will want to get a Secured credit card. Understand that having NO credit is just about as bad as having BAD credit. You really need to get started with credit building right away. I also want to advise you that adding an authorized user that has bad credit to one of your credit card accounts DOES NOT affect your credit in any way. You should disregard that advice given on that earlier.