Question

princessfam29

Innacuracies; 1 account listed as 10 seperate accounts
I have this particular bad account that is reported on my credit report 10 times so that it looks like it is 10 accounts (it is only supposed to be 1 account). It is for a ticket with my local municipality (the municipality is reporting this). I have reported this to the credit bureaus but it looks like its still on my credit report. Any advice on how I should resolve this?

Most Helpful Response

Hi there,

I did some basic reading on a similar subject and found some basic information that might be able to help.  First and foremost, the most important thing you need to do is dispute it with the credit bureaus _in writing_.   For the love of all that is holy, do not use their online dispute systems or over the phone (they technically don't have to investigate with that route, whereas in writing they do.)  

They will contact the people who put the trade line on your report to verify it's accurate. You should receive a response within 30 days letting you know that A) The people who applied the trade line verified it and it will remain, or B) It was not verified and has been removed.  If you didn't receive a response at all, try disputing again - maybe they didn't get the letter (it happens.)  Try sending it certified mail with a return receipt to be sure they got it.

Finally, if it comes back as verified and you know that it's inaccurate, you can send the bureau another letter demanding their method of investigation.  In a nutshell, this is when they tell you who they spoke to exactly about the trade line, when, where, blah blah blah.  You can use the information to follow up with the person directly.  There's also some stuff floating around about a "623 letter."  I'm not experienced with that particular approach so try googling it.  From what I've read, it essentially is a letter you send to the people who verified the trade line and demand the proof they used to verify it (documents showing 10 separate accounts).  They are required by law to respond to a 623 letter within 30 days with either the requested information, or a letter saying they were wrong and will be removing it from your credit report.  If they don't comply, then you can take them to court.

Hope this helps somewhat.  Google around a bit on some of those points and you will get some more information.  Good luck!