Question

Rossee

Incorrect and damaging collection reporting!
I had a hospital bill that was sent to me but it was supposed to be paid by my insurance. It was denied stating out of network. I knew this to be incorrect so I sent it back and they denied it again. So I called and asked them why are they denying it and they repeated that again out of network. I argued and got nowhere so I sent in $500.00 and then I thought the hospital would send me another statement with a new balance. Instead I got a bill from a collection agency. I was furious. I called the agency made arrangements to make payments and I decided to fight my insurance co. I sent the bill back to them and told them they needed to take another look at it bc I can't see how this provider was out of network. They decide it again. So I called again and spoke to a person at the insurance company and she told me to file an appeal. So I did just that along with a very explanatory letter. In the meantime I continued paying the collection co. Then the insurance denied my appeal bc they they said they were adjusting there original decision and adjusting the original amount and they paid they whole bill. I had paid the whole bill off in the mean time. I called the ins co and asked what this meant. She told me someone made an error on the original bill. So now I have this on my credit report as a paid collection closed. I have disputed this a few times but the collection agency will not remove it. This was never my responsibility to pay this bill to begin with. And after I have disputed this why won't they remove it. When they investigate don't they see that the insurance paid this bill? Soooooooo frustrated with how this system works!

now you need to get your money back

You need to write a letter to the hospital, and send copies to the collection agency as well as to all three credit bureaus. In the letter ask the hospital to contact the collection agency notifying them of the account was given to them in error , they have been paid by the insurance and to return all funds they have collected.  

All the letters should be sent certified mail, Return receipt requested.  the ones to the collection agency and the hospital  should be addressed to the "accounting manager". the ones to the credit bureaus attach a cover letter explaining that "attached is a copy of my dispute with xxxxx collections." 

in the letter explain everything that has happened, include dates and amounts of payments and photocopies of every payment as well as any letters you received from the Insurance and hospital.   This is where a paper trail is so very important.  

In the letter be sure to close the the phrase " I will be taking up this matter with the FTC and will exploring my legal options with my attorney, should this matter not be rectified immediately"  

perseverance is key 

good luck