Question

Poormoney61

Inactive CC appears as negative item on CR?

Most Helpful Response

Yes, inactivity can hurt credit score

If you keep a credit card inactive for too long, the card issuer will eventually cancel the card. Hurting your credit utilization.

If you have limited credit accounts, inactivity can hurt your payment history. Limited or no payment history, leaves credit bureaus with too little information to properly calculate your credit score. 

I was surprised by this, too...

One of the #1 things that has helped my score rise quickly is using and then paying off my CC. I started doing this when I got a new job and traveled with work, so the reimbursements from my job were always for the full amount. This is why some people will use a card for, say, gas, and then pay it in full every month. Even just using it to buy something small once a month and then paying it off could probably help.

This is why Dave Ramsey will say to get completely off of credit cards, so that you are never dependent on your score (which will be low if you end maintenance of your credit history) to get things like house loans or whatever. It's like going off the credit card grid. So you kind of have to go one way or another -- either maintain your history, or completely abandon credit.

what

what happens if you completely abandon credit? like dave ramsey as you say?