Question

JOOOOOOON

I was delinquent on a payment 5 years ago. What can I do about this?
This has been on my credit history due to a simple bookkeeping mistake. I think it's the reason that my credit is 717. I just want to find out if I can get it off my records. Or how long is it there?

it's Credit History

It's part of your credit history.  It will stay on your CR for 6 to 7 years depending on which your state your in.

Creditors generally look at your history for the last 24 months when extending credit, so it shouldn't impact you to much.  If its that old I dought that it is having that much of an impact.  You might look at other reasons that your score is where it is,  The amount of available credit and The mix of credit types also have a big impact on your score. 

My rule of thumb: Avaialble credit should equal 1 years salary, debt should be no more than 1 months salary.

Good luck!