Question

denise067

I want to purchase a home next year. I will be paying off my open balances. Do medical bills count?

maybe not

Depends how old the accounts are and the amounts. Medical bills under $100 are generally considered "nuisance" and most bureaus don't include then in credit score. Also bills older than statute of limitations for debt collection may be ignored. My state statute is 3 years. Any debt older than 3 years is "not collectable" meaning no legal action can be taken to enforce payment. The more recent medical accounts should be paid off as you are still liable for the debt and collector can get judgment, garnish wages, attach your bank and savings accounts. This might make you unable to pay mortgage. Every lender is different but most are more flexible with medical debt (especially smaller amounts) versus credit card or personal loan default.

It depends

Not all medical bills show up on your report, because not all hospitals report to the credit bureaus....in fact, the vast majority of them do not.

Generally, your medical bills start showing up on credit reports once they've gone to collection.  that's a whole different issue....and yes, you absolutely need to clean that up before trying to buy a home. 

Most Helpful Response

Annual Credit Report

Have you viewed your free credit reports yet ?  That will let you know what information is showing on your credit report & affecting your score.

most mortgages require all collections to be paid in full prior to closing. 

Viller2010

I just closed on my home this month with one account in collection. Granted that is the only bad debt on my credit report even the loan Officer was suprised that the "Computer" did not want it paid off.

Random789644

Depends on the lender and how much we're talking about. If it's some stupid $50 "Cleaning Fee" that some crappy apartment complex sent to collections without you knowing/seeing it, I'm pretty sure most (not all, but most) lenders will shrug it off. Massive medical bills on the other hand? Yeah... those will become one massive obstacle.

If the medical bills have been sent to a collection agency, yes, they do count!!

All bills count,including medical.

paying of collections first

Not always mine didn't have me pay off Medical bills first that are in collection

Do Medical Bills Count?

Yes, absolutely they do! I am struggling with that very same issue.