Question

HUBCAP13

I HAVE NO DEBT WHY WILL MY SCORE NOT GO UP!
I have $0.00 Debt (no home loan, I paid off my 2013 vehicle loan the same year AND I have no credit card debt)
I have a 685 Score that will not seem to go higher
I have 99% on-time payment history
I have 1 acct from 2008 that I was co-signer on that my x-boyfriend failed to pay a few payments on a vehicle but he re-financed anD paid off the balance of the loan and I am no longer on this
what else can I do to get my score to 800????
thank you!

Most Helpful Response

It is called a CREDIT score, not a NO DEBT score.  You must have open credit to increase your score. Keep a balance of 1-3% of the credit limit on your credit card at all times and your score will increase somewhat.  To learn how your score is calculated (there's more to it than just this advice) visit www.myfico.com.  Best of luck!

Try using your cards

You may want to try paying for things with your credit cards, and pay off the cards every payday.  That gets some activity going on your account.  

If you have a CC that accumulates points for some sort of award system, following this suggestion will also let you build up your points!  

I have quite a few CC, and try to use each one at least once or twice each month. It wouldn't hurt to take a little longer than a month to pay a couple of them off if you can manage it. 

As I understand it, you want to show you are utilizing your available credit, but try to never go higher than 30% on any particular card's credit limit. 

As has been said here, (one exception)

You need to have credit accounts.  You only listed that you have one account with derogatory information, but you don't mention if you have any accounts with good histories.  Remember that you need a good amount of accounts, (both revolving credit and loan accounts), a good payment history, and a good amount of time that the accounts have been open.  So... opening a lot of credit accounts will initially have a negative effect on your credit score.  However, as the accounts age, there will be a gradual increase in your score.  Use the accounts for your normal purchases, and since you have the income, pay them off each month.  Keep the usage on the cards less than 30% of the available balance, and this way, you are achieving a good credit history without paying interest.

debt

if you don't have anything reporting to your bureau it will never change since there's nothing to be updated/ reported. If you have no debt charge a few bucks (200 or so) pay that amount off in about 3 months and charge on it again. No debt activity means no change in your report therefore your score will stay the same. Always have something reporting to your bureau.