I have a few accounts in collections- What is the best way to handle these while improving my score?
I have several accounts in collections. I am not even sure what some of them are from. Some of them certainly appear to be duplicates (they appear from the same collections company for the same amount of money twice).

My credit score is Very Poor and it's mostly if not entirely due to these accounts. What is the best way to approach paying off these accounts (If I can even find out if they are legitimate) to make sure that these records are removed from my account and to maximize the improvement of my credit score?

Most of the collections I can afford to pay off IFF I need to (mostly under $500) but I have heard from many people that there is usually someway to have accounts removed from collections (something about 30 days written notice, I'm not sure what this means) could someone please help me to understand?