Question

dmoney127

How will this delinquent balance will affect my credit score in the future?
I recently received my credit report from the 3 major agencies thru Credit Karma. I have never requested a credit report before, so this was my first time. On the Equifax report my score was lower than the other 2. It also had a claim under "Collection Agency Info" that stated I have a delinquent balance of $34 owed to a collection agency. The balance was assigned to the collection agency on 7/2014 by the medical company I receive care from.
Here's what I need help with. I had NEVER once received notice from either the medical group or the collection agency about this debt. The only way I found out about it was seeing it on the credit report I requested. I disputed the claim with Equifax, but they concluded the debt was properly filed and refused to do anything about it. My questions are the following:
- what actions should I take (if any) to resolve this?
- will this balance ever expire? I have not once communicated with the collection agency, but did dispute it with Equifax and, in result, they contacted the collection agency to investigate the claim.
- how will this claim affect my credit score in the future?

Contact the medical group that you got your service from and ask them to recall the debt from collections in exchange for you paying it. Explain to them that you never received a bill and that it was not your mistake. Make sure that they agree to pull it back from collections. A collection on your reports is very damaging to your credit, it will hurt your scores and profile in a significant way, you need to work hard to get it removed.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If the medical group agrees to pull it back from collections, great. If not and they give you trouble, you may consider speaking with an attorney that practices in consumer law. You may also consider filing some complaints against the medical group. Make it easier for them to remove the account than for them to let it remain.

Just make sure that you are very polite and courteous at the start when trying to deal with the medical group, if they refuse to help you after a couple of attempts in the best manner you can have about it, then show them you mean business.