Question

Hmc15

How to fix credit score and build credit in a reasonable amount of time
My credit score is 552 and I have two open accounts for medical bills. If I start paying them off will it help my score? And what can I do to build my credit while I pay them off? I am open to any credit advise.

Are those medical accounts in collection? If so, then by simply paying them won't necessarily better your scores. Try call original creditor and ask them if they are willing to recall the collections in exchange you pay them directly, can always ask if you qualify for some type of charitable care programs. If those won't work? Then Google HIPPA and "whychat" it can be a long drawn out process.

-

To build your credit you would need to show positive accounts and payment history, usualy couple of credit cards in good standing would build up your credit in course of a year. If you currently don't have any lines of credit in good standing? Apply for a secured card would be a start. Do you also have other baddies besides those two medical bills?

Since the purpose of Credit Karma is to teach how credit works and how to improve one's credit score, I do suggest reading the articles here, especially since they really helped me!  Also, check Dave Ramsey's site for ideas on how to get the bills paid most effectively.