Question

playboy6969

how many points go towards your credit score each month when you pay your bills on time?

Most Helpful Response

If I recall correclty, I've seen it written as 35% of your score is based on payment history. 30% is how much debt you are currently carrying overall, however credit card debt seems to have the biggest effect of score, so keep your balances low. The other 25% is made up of inquiries and length or age of your credit report and open credit accounts.

I've only seen minimal improvements just from paying ontime month to month with no other credit report improvements, but over time your positive payment history it will increase your score. As the negative stuff gets older, it won't effect your score as much which could be keeping it from increasing even if you've been paying everything ontime for a while.

My advice would be to dispute anything negative, especially when a collection agency put it on there, many times they don't bother to respond to the dispute and the bureaus will remove the negative stuff from your report after 30-days. That's how I go my score up, that and obviously rebuilding by paying ontime for the past few years.

Sorry, I meant the other 35% is based on inquiries and age of credit accounts, not 25%.