Question

melissa19700

how long do hard inquiries stay on your report

Hard credit pulls

Hard pulls stay on your credit report for 2 years, but they do not affect your score after 12 months.  As a practical matter, they really don't have all that much of an impact on your credit IF the rest of your profile is good.

I have had 12 (you read right!) hard inquiries in the past 13 months.  Yes, I admit to playing the "bonus" miles game with airline loyalty cards (blush), yet my credit score has gone UP with every new card, as my utilization percentage has dropped substantially since those cards tend to have high credit limits. 

My score 13 months ago was 712, but it now stands at 776 on Credit Karma, and my FICO score (the important one) is 791 on the FICO 8 scale.

Typically your score takes a 2 point hit for each inquiry, but this can be easily balanced out IF you are approved for high limit cards at the same time.  I now have a total credit available of $126,000 with a utilization of 5%.  Credit card debt is low because I pay my bill in full, on time, every month.  I haven't paid a nickel of interest yet have enough FF miles to fly anywhere in the world several times.  I flew first class round trip to Costa Rica last winter for myself and my partner for just a processing fee.

I now have the task of getting rid of cards I don't use, since I don't want them cancelled for non-use.

BRD2

thx. great advise

hoosierdaddy83

How do you get rid of cards you don't use without it adversely affecting your credit score?

nubiaarely

That's awesome! I went recently to a dealership to trade in my car but didn't end up doing it and now I have 26 inquiries! Im freaking out about it, I figured they would run it once and that's it. Anyhow any advice on how you got where you're at? 

Cell Phone Co's now pull a hard inquiry

To sund0wn's comment, I just went through this with T-Mobile and when I showed the store manager that it showed up as a hard inquiry, even he was surprised b/c Corp always told them it was a soft check. I did a screen shot of the inquiry that showed up as a hard inquiry so he could send it to his boss to get some clarification. Obviously something has changed and even store managers haven't been informed which is really unfortunate b/c I had told them we were trying to purchase a home and I couldn't afford a hard inquiry on my report right now.

jonjon103085

That same thing happened to us. And my fiance's score didn't go down just a few points because of it either. It went down SEVENTY points just from their one hard inquiry that we didn't authorize. And for anyone who says that there is no way that it went down that much from just one, believe you me when I say that that is the ONLY "credit" we had applied for in months and there was no other reason for it to go down otherwise. We paid all of our credit cards on time, were withing 30% of our credit limit, and had no other hard inquiries, or negative accounts suddenly get added.

jonjon103085

within*

justjenna

This happened to me with Verizon Wireless, as well. 

justjenna

This same exact thing happened to me with Verizon Wireless. I was told it was a soft inquiry but NOPE. I got dinged by three points, which was enough to bring me below the 620 threshold I had worked so hard to attain. I know that 620 is a crap score but considering I was in the low 500s two years ago, for me it was like climbing a mountain. I was furious with Verizon for deceiving me. Now I think that maybe the customer service rep was just misinformed, because it sounds like the corporate folks at the top of the mobile phone companies are feeding bad information down the totem pole. Shame, because it really hurts folks like us, who are trying hard to increase that pesky score. 

FICO of FAKO

Does credit Karma uses their own tools for credit scoring? the reason that I ask is because in the Credit Karma dashboard shows a total different credit score than the Transunion credit score, I applied to refinance my autoloan per Credit Karma referral to Nationwide well the Loan was denied and I received a letter with my real credit score from TransUnion which was totally different than the one that Credit Karma has.

carrie1987

i wanna know that too.

wallacej5

Credit Karma is a TransUnion company. The loan company may have pulled a different bureau. 

fiasco806

I Checked my TU score and it was 15 points less than what CK shows.

chethere

My Credit Karma score is a 661 - My REAL Trans Union score (as per the one I bought, and the one car dealers showed me) is a 760.  99 points different.  For certain Credit Karma is NOT using the actual Trans Union credit score.

b4iwascrzy

This is STILL the case in 2015 -- remember, although Credit Karma is a "free" site (meaning it survives by advertising) one of the favorite site PUSHES is for Lexington Law, so they can "fix" your credit (I've read that they have really FIXED some people's in a negative fashion, btw). At any rate, I'd be interested in hearing that ANYONE's Credit Chameleon (I mean Karma) credit score for any of the magical three bureaus is LOWER than the ACTUAL credit report - Anyone? Do I hear an echo in the empty room of responders? hHHHEELLLLOOOOO......?

crabjoe

They all use a different scoring model.  TU and Equifax can provide scoring based on different models they offer.  And Someone like Credit Karma can apply a different model, using the same report, that the credit bureaus offer.

For auto loans, it seems most lenders use a "Auto Enhanced" Fico scoring model, which I hear is only available to companies in the auto industry.

BTW, Even FICO offeres different scoring models.. so even if someone says they're giving you a FICO score, it might not match a FICO score from a different lender... 

Good Luck with trying to figure out which model is used by who...

Weird circumstances

I also have a problem with getting an F score on hard inquiries but it's a strange circumstance!!! I bought a new car and two months later got hit by a 1997 Cadillac which totalled my car. I was forced to buy a new car and they ran credit inquiries again but it was 2 or 3 months after the first time. Now, I'm showing as having all these hard inquiries. Is there a way to get the credit bureau to consolidate them due to the circumstances???

kevingee2134

Call credit be aureus and tell them what happened. In your scenario, they should only count 1 inquiry if they were all within 2 weeks apart. It's actually a law.

crabjoe

Hard inquires will appear, if they were pulled, but if a bunch was pulled within a 2 week period, they are to cound as one inquiry for scoring purposuses.

Bottom line.. if the inquieres are legit, they are what they are .. but based on time frame, they should only count as one 1 inquiry for scoring purposes.

inquires

I heard that you can request hard inquaries be removed if you were denied the credit (example a credit card company denied you) is that true and how do you go about doing this if it is.

Jasper2

No, it is not true.  It counts as a hard pull even if you are only requesting a credit increase.

How can I remove the hard inquires if they are done in error.  To explain more I went to a call lot and applied for a auto loan. Got approved but decided to look else where for a vechile.  I found out that the car lot had my credit ran 16 times. Which brought my score down over 26 points. How can I remove some or all of those.  I was never inform they would run my credit that amount of times.

Thanks in advance.

excelon50

I would love to know the answer to this one - I have 17 hard inquiries on my report, thanks to a car dealer shooting for best interest rate..

McShadyface

If you go to a car dealership, they will try several banks to get you approved and/or the best interest rate and terms. While every bank tried results in a credit inquiry, you're score will only be affected as if there were only one inquiry. The reporting agencies know that consumers want to shop around for the best rates, (which only shows responsible credit management), so multiple inquiries in a short period of time won't hurt your score more than a single inquiry would.

KayKAtkins

I just had the same thing happen to me on 10/04/13 it's like they ran my info with every loan place they could till they found someone to finance me. but w/all the hits im down 31pts and I want them back.  I even asked the deal was they going to do that and he lied and said no the 2day later I got a text from Quizzle and Credit Karma.  Where u able to get yours fixed?

Most Helpful Response

The credit reporting agencies will keep a record of your hard inquiries for 2 years. So, whenever you apply for credit, a lender gets to see how many hard inquiries you've had in that period.

However, hard inquires only subtract from your credit score for one year. And in my experience, they tend to cost you only 5 to 10 points initially and you start getting them back in as little as 6 months if you have no further hard inquiries or other issues that impact your score. Like excessive outstanding balances.

kevindavis338

So what will happen to the score after the years is up?

Home Re-Fi

I had an excellent (790) , I moved to a new state and had to get a mortgage for my home, cable tv, utilities.  With this move alone and have an excellent pay record and debt to income and these inquires lowered my score to 716

Jasper2

Debt to income ratio doesn't affect your credit score.  Being newly employed could.  It's hard to believe, however, that your true score (FICO, not FAKO) would be that badly affected.  I'd check your FICO at myFICO and get your true score before being too concerned about it.  I'd also get all 3 of my credit reports from freecreditreports.com to make certain they are accurate.

As a practical matter, your score would normally recover quite quickly from any hits it took from your move.

cbr0422

Debt to income and pay record doesn't matter to your credit score. Hard inquiries and your new mortgage bringing down your average age of accounts is likely what caused the drop.  But, in a short time, with good payment history, it should go up higher than before.

So if the 17 is really treated as a one but Karma give it an F - that also means that the credit score Karma gives would be less than the actual score - is that correct?

crabjoe

Credit Karma scoring mean NOTHING to lenders.  All the CK score does is givesYOU a gauge of how they rate you.

BTW CK and anyone would say 17 is high and give an F for it, but the credit scoring model might care less.  For example, if I was shopping for an auto loan, if I had 200 inquires in a 2 week period, my credit score would be the same as if I only had 1 inquiry...  Because if the inquiry was coded properly for an auto loan, they have to count all auto inquires, within a 2 weeks period, as one inquiry...

hard inquiries

Could you please help my little pea brain understand -  even if my credit report says  - 17 inquiries (all due to car)  - credit karma gave me an "F" in this category... companies looking at my credit report mentally convert this 17 inquiries to 1???? Thanks, Pati

KarmaChameleon

Credit Karma's grading for that category is assuming that those are 17 distinct inquiries, which would have a much higher impact on your score(s). However, if they were hard pulls for the same type of credit, the "weighting" is applied differently. For example:

If you were shopping for a home loan and had 17 hard inquiries from banks within a relatively short period of time, it would be understood that you were simply shopping for the best loan, and all similar inquiries would be "weighted" with the impact of a single inquiry. Meaning, that they would have a "lighter" impact to your score, because they would be grouped together as if they were a single hard pull.

karmaCreditBritt

I work at a car dealership and yes your 17 hard inquiries are only going to count as one as long as it was within a short time period. 

Happyyyyy

Asw far as I know its not converted to 1. they can however see that it was done for the same purpose. My car dealer screwed me up like that too. I have 14 inquiries and cant do anything about it. All the inquiries are shpowing up as separate inquiries on my other credit tools as well.