how long do hard inquiries stay on your report

melissa19700

Most Helpful Response

The credit reporting agencies will keep a record of your hard inquiries for 2 years. So, whenever you apply for credit, a lender gets to see how many hard inquiries you've had in that period.

However, hard inquires only subtract from your credit score for one year. And in my experience, they tend to cost you only 5 to 10 points initially and you start getting them back in as little as 6 months if you have no further hard inquiries or other issues that impact your score. Like excessive outstanding balances.

Response by
cato

So what will happen to the score after the years is up?

kevindavis338

Weird circumstances

I also have a problem with getting an F score on hard inquiries but it's a strange circumstance!!! I bought a new car and two months later got hit by a 1997 Cadillac which totalled my car. I was forced to buy a new car and they ran credit inquiries again but it was 2 or 3 months after the first time. Now, I'm showing as having all these hard inquiries. Is there a way to get the credit bureau to consolidate them due to the circumstances???

Response by
mmj5263

Call credit be aureus and tell them what happened. In your scenario, they should only count 1 inquiry if they were all within 2 weeks apart. It's actually a law.

kevingee2134

How can I remove the hard inquires if they are done in error.  To explain more I went to a call lot and applied for a auto loan. Got approved but decided to look else where for a vechile.  I found out that the car lot had my credit ran 16 times. Which brought my score down over 26 points. How can I remove some or all of those.  I was never inform they would run my credit that amount of times.

Thanks in advance.

Response by
daniemichelle

If you go to a car dealership, they will try several banks to get you approved and/or the best interest rate and terms. While every bank tried results in a credit inquiry, you're score will only be affected as if there were only one inquiry. The reporting agencies know that consumers want to shop around for the best rates, (which only shows responsible credit management), so multiple inquiries in a short period of time won't hurt your score more than a single inquiry would.

McShadyface

I would love to know the answer to this one - I have 17 hard inquiries on my report, thanks to a car dealer shooting for best interest rate..

excelon50

I just had the same thing happen to me on 10/04/13 it's like they ran my info with every loan place they could till they found someone to finance me. but w/all the hits im down 31pts and I want them back.  I even asked the deal was they going to do that and he lied and said no the 2day later I got a text from Quizzle and Credit Karma.  Where u able to get yours fixed?

KayKAtkins

FICO of FAKO

Does credit Karma uses their own tools for credit scoring? the reason that I ask is because in the Credit Karma dashboard shows a total different credit score than the Transunion credit score, I applied to refinance my autoloan per Credit Karma referral to Nationwide well the Loan was denied and I received a letter with my real credit score from TransUnion which was totally different than the one that Credit Karma has.

Response by
Texas81

I Checked my TU score and it was 15 points less than what CK shows.

fiasco806

Credit Karma is a TransUnion company. The loan company may have pulled a different bureau. 

wallacej5

i wanna know that too.

carrie1987

Cell Phone Co's now pull a hard inquiry

To sund0wn's comment, I just went through this with T-Mobile and when I showed the store manager that it showed up as a hard inquiry, even he was surprised b/c Corp always told them it was a soft check. I did a screen shot of the inquiry that showed up as a hard inquiry so he could send it to his boss to get some clarification. Obviously something has changed and even store managers haven't been informed which is really unfortunate b/c I had told them we were trying to purchase a home and I couldn't afford a hard inquiry on my report right now.

Response by
hhawho

hard inquiries

Could you please help my little pea brain understand -  even if my credit report says  - 17 inquiries (all due to car)  - credit karma gave me an "F" in this category... companies looking at my credit report mentally convert this 17 inquiries to 1???? Thanks, Pati

Response by
excelon50

Credit Karma's grading for that category is assuming that those are 17 distinct inquiries, which would have a much higher impact on your score(s). However, if they were hard pulls for the same type of credit, the "weighting" is applied differently. For example:

If you were shopping for a home loan and had 17 hard inquiries from banks within a relatively short period of time, it would be understood that you were simply shopping for the best loan, and all similar inquiries would be "weighted" with the impact of a single inquiry. Meaning, that they would have a "lighter" impact to your score, because they would be grouped together as if they were a single hard pull.

KarmaChameleon

I work at a car dealership and yes your 17 hard inquiries are only going to count as one as long as it was within a short time period. 

karmaCreditBritt

So if the 17 is really treated as a one but Karma give it an F - that also means that the credit score Karma gives would be less than the actual score - is that correct?

Response by
ocdane

Home Re-Fi

I had an excellent (790) , I moved to a new state and had to get a mortgage for my home, cable tv, utilities.  With this move alone and have an excellent pay record and debt to income and these inquires lowered my score to 716

Response by
Joerather1011

inquires

I heard that you can request hard inquaries be removed if you were denied the credit (example a credit card company denied you) is that true and how do you go about doing this if it is.

Response by
confused23

INQUIRIES

how do i get these inquiries remove from my credit

•  

Response by
jimmylmcm

Submit to the Community