Question

melissa19700

how long do hard inquiries stay on your report

Hard credit pulls

Hard pulls stay on your credit report for 2 years, but they do not affect your score after 12 months.  As a practical matter, they really don't have all that much of an impact on your credit IF the rest of your profile is good.

I have had 12 (you read right!) hard inquiries in the past 13 months.  Yes, I admit to playing the "bonus" miles game with airline loyalty cards (blush), yet my credit score has gone UP with every new card, as my utilization percentage has dropped substantially since those cards tend to have high credit limits. 

My score 13 months ago was 712, but it now stands at 776 on Credit Karma, and my FICO score (the important one) is 791 on the FICO 8 scale.

Typically your score takes a 2 point hit for each inquiry, but this can be easily balanced out IF you are approved for high limit cards at the same time.  I now have a total credit available of $126,000 with a utilization of 5%.  Credit card debt is low because I pay my bill in full, on time, every month.  I haven't paid a nickel of interest yet have enough FF miles to fly anywhere in the world several times.  I flew first class round trip to Costa Rica last winter for myself and my partner for just a processing fee.

I now have the task of getting rid of cards I don't use, since I don't want them cancelled for non-use.

hoosierdaddy83

How do you get rid of cards you don't use without it adversely affecting your credit score?

FICO of FAKO

Does credit Karma uses their own tools for credit scoring? the reason that I ask is because in the Credit Karma dashboard shows a total different credit score than the Transunion credit score, I applied to refinance my autoloan per Credit Karma referral to Nationwide well the Loan was denied and I received a letter with my real credit score from TransUnion which was totally different than the one that Credit Karma has.

chethere

My Credit Karma score is a 661 - My REAL Trans Union score (as per the one I bought, and the one car dealers showed me) is a 760.  99 points different.  For certain Credit Karma is NOT using the actual Trans Union credit score.

Cell Phone Co's now pull a hard inquiry

To sund0wn's comment, I just went through this with T-Mobile and when I showed the store manager that it showed up as a hard inquiry, even he was surprised b/c Corp always told them it was a soft check. I did a screen shot of the inquiry that showed up as a hard inquiry so he could send it to his boss to get some clarification. Obviously something has changed and even store managers haven't been informed which is really unfortunate b/c I had told them we were trying to purchase a home and I couldn't afford a hard inquiry on my report right now.

jonjon103085

That same thing happened to us. And my fiance's score didn't go down just a few points because of it either. It went down SEVENTY points just from their one hard inquiry that we didn't authorize. And for anyone who says that there is no way that it went down that much from just one, believe you me when I say that that is the ONLY "credit" we had applied for in months and there was no other reason for it to go down otherwise. We paid all of our credit cards on time, were withing 30% of our credit limit, and had no other hard inquiries, or negative accounts suddenly get added.

Weird circumstances

I also have a problem with getting an F score on hard inquiries but it's a strange circumstance!!! I bought a new car and two months later got hit by a 1997 Cadillac which totalled my car. I was forced to buy a new car and they ran credit inquiries again but it was 2 or 3 months after the first time. Now, I'm showing as having all these hard inquiries. Is there a way to get the credit bureau to consolidate them due to the circumstances???