Question

Posted in Auto Insurance

MrPaco

How do I raise my Auto Insurance Score

Insurance scores - know your CLUE report

Insurance companies use an insurance rating tool in what they call a CLUE report that is generally from LexisNexis. This CLUE report contains credit, claims and and other personal data about you. All insurance agents have access to it and will use to calculate what rates they offer you. I found this out because i changed insurance companies and i was asked about my claims history which included only a non fault claim in 2006. They had a report that showed a claim for me in 2011 that wasn't mine. They said the claim was from another state that i never lived in. The state was where my adult son formerly lived and it was his. Yet it was on my report. This lead me to researching what was going on and by a google search I learned about CLUE reports and LexiusNexis. I visited their web site and viewed my report information and saw that it showed my son's former residence as one of mine. My son and I have very similar names yet our SS#'s and other indentifying info is differint. But to the data miners and purveyors of this data don't know and don't care, it is up us to stumble across this knowledge. LexisNexis reports their information to the big 3 credit reporting companies and vice versus. As a result the incorrect address was now on my credit reports also.

LexisNexis is covered under the same FCRA laws as credit companies and you can request a copy of your report and despute any inaccuracies just like the credit reporting companies. I reduced my auto insurance costs by 65% and cleaned up my credit reports.

nexis

bluedog2384

That was extremely helpful information.  Thanks.

gudguy1

Yes, I agree with the others here, very very helpful info.

In my case, I've had four claims generated by me - all stemming from the fault of the other drivers AND I did get their insurance info (had to speed to catch one of them) over the past 20 years (last one was 3 yrs ago).

landerson333

Helpful

21angel

Finally a response that was very helpful!

reverendrod

The "car insurance credit report" has nothing to do with either claims or bad credit.   It was put together a few years ago to give insurance companies a scam excuse to raise your rates.  When questioned, the insurance company will tell you "not our fault - we just go by your 'insurance credit score' done by an 'agency'". I believe these "pseudo governments" should be outlawed for deceptive practices.  I moved to an insurance company who demonstrated to me that they DO NOT use this fraud score to *** my rates.  I would like to see everyone write their congressmen and women.  The credit score companies now have powers over you that rival government controls.  AND, in many cases they have bad information (such as in my case where they list addresses as mine that are relatives addresses) which they don't spend the money to change even when requested.  Scam and fraud.

Vlanson

I’d like to share my story too. Just a few weeks ago i was homeless, i was jilted by my online lover. and he had robbed me of everything i had. By the time i realized i was being played, my credit score was already 458 , i had an eviction on my report and a large debt on my credit. I was on my way to the little corner behind the store where i normally sleep when i saw a fellow homeless person who i met some days ago and he was looking so changed and successful. I immediately began to beg him to tell me how he made it so fast and because i had told him my story when we previously met, he understood my problem and gave me the contact of the hacker that helped him. i contacted the programmer (ex FICO and Experian agent) and he fixed my credit, raised my credit score and cleared all negative listings on my credit in less than 9 days. I would have kept quiet about this, but i won't be able to forgive myself for not helping people who are in terrible conditions like i was. "gmorrison741 @ g m a i l . c o m" is the programmer's email address. I wish you good-luck. Y’all can thank me later. 

Sadly its is all sham.

Auto Insurance score model is heavily weighted to benefit the insurance company. Sure they can argue that one's poor credit is an indicator for that person more likely to file a claim, but the reality is if some idiot(read Driver) fails to Yield on the road and smashes into my car, i will file a claim regardless of my "excellent" credit. Or if someone breaks into my car while I'm at a ball game I will file a claim regardless of my "excellent" or "Poor" credit..... You get the picture.

Needless to say the system is broken, the odds are stacked against the consumer, you cant beat the casino. They just need a sure fire way to "legally" stack that deck.  With that said my Auto Insurance score did dip DRASTICALLY after I opened up new credit (4 new accounts) in the month of december and the consequences of that were evident with my Insurance renewal notice( my rate went up 20%) NO ACCIDENTS NO CLAIMS NO TICKETS in over 14 Years. And by reading some of the stories on here, my auto insurance score is not going to rise for a very long time..

In my opinion it is a sham because I have never come across a logical explanation of how the score is calculated. If it walks like a duck........... 

21angel

I do agree w/this response of being a sham. Due to the sandy storm ripping my the roof off my condo & a ceiling falling in, to destroy all my son's furniture-i had to make a claim. 1 IN 42 YRS!!! and now i have to suffer w/very low score in the auto insurance catagory, thats not right. my bills are always paid on time & in full !!!

reverendrod

You are TOTALLY correct!  It was put together a few years ago to give insurance companies a scam excuse to raise your rates.  When questioned, the insurance company will tell you "not our fault - we just go by your 'insurance credit score' done by an 'agency'". I believe these "pseudo governments" should be outlawed for deceptive practices.  I moved to an insurance company who demonstrated to me that they DO NOT use this fraud score to *** my rates.  I would like to see everyone write their congressmen and women.  The credit score companies now have powers over you that rival government controls.  AND, in many cases they have bad information (such as in my case where they list addresses as mine that are relatives addresses) which they don't spend the money to change even when requested.  Scam and fraud.

harleymann

Very sad but also very true. Now all we need is to get our representatives in government to regulate these rates. But we all know this will never happen because they love ripping off the poor so called Middle Class? It would take away all their kickbacks.

Vlanson

Increase your Auto Insurance score .

1) try not to do any Inssurance claims . 

2) avoid tickets by being A Safe driver . 

3) DO NOT HAVE ANY GAPS in coverage . 

FOR EXAMPLE : 

do not go for more than 30 days with out Insurance . 

I took a year off from driving so the laps in coverage made my score 

go down . 

ALSO , IF YOU KNOW YOU NOT GOING TO DRIVE , THERE FOR NOT NEEDING 

INSURANCE , , there is a way to Pay the Absolubtly Minimum just to hold on to your tag 

and to Keep your insurance from Lapsing ( in State of Florida) .

You can drop your insurance down just to keep 

from canseling . And pay like $24 dollars a month or so just to keep 

it going . 

In other words if you dont have insurance for a while because 

1- you dont have a car 

2- you wont drive a car 

3- long term vacation 

4- sharring a car with spouse .

5- no money to buy car for a while . 

Then lower to basically the minimum required just to hold on to policy and tag . 

And to avoid laps . MAKE SURE IS THE ABSOLUTELY MINIMUM . 

It should be less than $30 bucks a month . NO PIP ,

i believe is Non motorist insurance of something not sure . 

Garrulous

I have not had an insurance claim in more than 10 years.

I have not been issued a ticket in more than 20 years.

I have had no gaps in coverage in 39 years.

I have a car.  I drive a car.  I have not taken a long-term vacation.  I don't share my car with a spouse.  I have owned my current vehicle for 2 years and the previous one for 14 years.

I have an excellent credit rating, including a perfect score for homeowners' insurance.

Despite my dismal automobile insurance score (more than 70% of the population has a higher score than me), my automobile insurance rate is low... so who uses this score?  Why is the score so low?  How can I raise the score? What are the factors that go into the score?   Clearly, the ones that you mention seem reasonable, but I'm living proof that the score is not based on those factors.

pinboysgirl

Wrong.  All wrong, RickyRasta30's.  Insurance scores are a snap shot of your credit.  

A lapse in auto coverage only causes a "surcharge" in your premium when you go to sign up for new coverage.  ( this does not apply when you don't have coverage because you don't have a car).  This goes for your driving record and claims too, you are only surcharged for these incidents, and they typically fall off after 3 years.  Nothing to do with your insurance score.

Insurance scores are one of the tools insurance companies use to determine "risk". Trends show that people who have better credit tend to file fewer claims.

I think RickyRasta30 makes sense here, because I sold my '07 Accord in Oct 2013, cancelled my auto insurance and waited to get my pre-ordered Merc in Jan 2014. When I got insurance quotes (Jan 16th, precisely) , I found my Auto Insurance Score at Credit Karma go down by 20 points in Feb 2014. Now, when I opened the auto loan account, I also happened to open a credit card, so effectively 2 credit accounts got opened in Jan 2014.

But then, on March 30th 2014, I found that my departmental store credit card opened 3 years ago got closed by itself, showing a reduction in my overall credit line. But my auto insurance score has gone down again in March by 26 points (No change in Vantage and Transunion scores)!! WTF!

I feel, if RickyRasta30's observation with regards to keeping a continuous auto insurance policy, makes sense, then why did my auto insurance score go down further, after getting a new insurance policy? (No accidents, claims in the period between new insurance quote and now)

Could this be due to changes such as credit accounts added and others closed down? (I thought if credit accounts get automatically closed, then its a bosst to your credit score)

Trans Union credit score=excellent

Vanguard credit score=excellent

No insurance claims filed

No tickets

Then why is my Insurance credit score only "fair"?

What a scam.

Naeners

I think it's all a scam, especially the insurance score. We are scored on everything in life it's all out of hand we are adults not in college anymore I have graduated college and believe it should get a break.. 

greywolf2112

I have the exact same issue - no claims on home or auto, excellent (800) credit score, and yet my auto is FAIR and my Home is POOR on insurance score - WTF?

harleymann

Buricratic BS if you ask me?

Vlanson

using credit for insurance is wrong

I was informed my insurance was going up 50.00 per month because of my credit. I flipped out. I have a excellent driving record, no tickets, no accidents, and over fifteen years since my last ticket. Then one day a few years ago wham my insurance goes up because of my credit score. That is just not right. My driving is not related to my credit. My credit is poor because of health and hospital and medical bills, so now pay more for insurance because of it. B.S. is what it is, just a way to make more money from people with good driving records.

Jim

butlers4

Very interesting.  I had no idea auto insurance was affected by my credit score.  I'll be looking into that.

iowarose3

Same here. I totally agree with you.

I have the same problem - Credit checks should be accessed when loans, mortgages, and credit cards are applied for.  If someone has maintained auto insurance without a lapse and has a good driving record woild allow more insured drivers on the road and better serve the public as a whole. The fact that insurance premiums have been paid in spite of financial difficulties, and having a good driving record would be much more relevant. 

jmcam

I agree completely! My driving record is excellent but my credit score is poor. One has nothing to do with the other. This is just a way for insurance co. to profit more off of you. It should be illegal to use credit score for driving!!!

reverendrod

Vlanson

Credit score affects auto insurance rate

It feel very unfair to be charged a higher amount of money for insurance due to have a low credit score. One thing has noting to do with the other. There could and obviously are mitigating circumstances that may cause one to be unable to have decent credit, starting with not knowing that there are numerous errorenous incidents on the credit report, or accounts that have already been charged off, bought by another collection company and put back on the report. These events and behaviors are grossly unfair. If a person has always had a good driving record, no accidents, no tickets, are an older age, they should be judged on that merit and that merit alone. The B & W information on a credit report is always suspect.

It appears to be reliant on auto credit

My auto insurance score dropped when I got a new vehicle and a credit card. It appears that the auto loan automatically makes it drop, the credit inquiries make it drop, and the new credit lines make it drop (age of newest credit line).

I wish there were more factual key performance indicators listed by an actual scoring agency, but so far that's all I've come up with. It stands to reason if Credit Karma is getting this score from Transunion, they should be able to find out what influences it. Wonder why there is no official information from them to help us out....

williami

Found this on a website:

Game Plan for Improving Your Auto Insurance Score

The first step is always to know what’s up with your credit situation, then make a game plan on how to improve your credit if you know what is weighing it down.

Some of the common adverse factors affecting auto insurance scores include:

1. Oldest credit account has short history – Your oldest account was opened within the last 6 or so years.
  2. Credit history is too recent – A significant percentage of your credit accounts were opened in the last 2 years, and need more established history.
  3. Not enough mix of credit accounts – You need a more diverse mix of credit, that includes credit cards, loans, a mortgage, and more.
  4. Late payments – Late payments of 30 days or more on one or more accounts can seriously damage your credit.

http://www.moneycrashers.com/auto-insurance-score-credit-history/

It seems to fit, I closed my oldest account and got a bunch of new accounts, and the new accounts were credit cards instead of lines of credit (loans) from banks. It dropped significantly and is staying there without moving, so I presume as long as I don't have older credit and a better mix of credit, my score won't change.

SonnyHoney54

Shop around.  Some insurance companies rely on credit score more than others.  From my shopping for insurance, I have been told that there is no standard scoring model.   Each insurance company has their own method of calculating your score.  You can do a lot of shopping around on the internet without having to spend an hour on the phone.  Geico has a simple internet way of pricing your rates.  Before looking for a quote makes sure your credit is in order and paid down your outstanding balances.    Avoid any inquires for 3 months and ask what CRA they using.  Make sure your efforts to improve your credit score has been reported to the CRA before applying for a new quote.

So no one in here has any idea on how to fix the Auto Insurance Score???

I think it is true about when you move or change insurance providers, seems like my score has dropped when I moved to the state of Florida but I can't confirm that.  

I have perfect score, no tickets in 3 years, no reason why my auto insurance score should be so poor.  this makes absolutely no sense at all.  

credit scores

FIRST CREDIT SCORES ARE A SCAM AND USING THESE SCORES FOR INSURANCE IS A SCAM CALL YOUR SENATORS AND REPRESENTITIVES GET PETITIONS SIGNED LETS CHANGE THIS NOW AND IF YOUR POLITICIANS WONT DO IT VOTE FOR ONES THAT WILL

STOP THE MADDNESS

Moving affects score

I noticed my auto score dropped immediately after I moved to a new place.  That was the only change in records in many months.