Question

sarahlesab

How do I improve my credit score with high student loan debt to income ratio?
My credit score is 647 and I want to improve it, but not sure of the best way to do that. I have 9 total accounts on my credit report, a couple car loans and the rest are student loans, and no credit cards. Everything is in good standing except there are 3 late payments on my student loan accounts. I have a high ($65,000) student loan debt to income ratio. My student loans are in deferment as my income is fairly low (under $2000) a month. I have no other debt. My question is, I really want to improve my credit score and I don't know the best way to do it. Should I get a credit card?--I've heard that sometimes that can lower your credit score. I've been turned down for a credit card in the past and I can only imagine that it's my huge student loan debt to income ratio. Do I need more accounts on my credit report? Should my husband add me on to his existing credit cards as an authorized user? Or would the debt on those cards put my debt to income ratio even higher? I just don't know what to do and any advice would be so appreciated!