Question

creditbuilder11

How do I go about disputing a collection with Equifax?
I recently acquired a collection on my Equifax credit report. The information on Credit Karma led me to contact the collection agency and I found out what the collection was for. It's a medical bill of $25 dollars. The bill is mine. It's from a hospital visit from about a year ago. It was never addressed to my home though. Another address, which I have no association with whatsoever, was attached to the bill. It was constantly being sent to this address. (If I had to guess, it looks like someone mixed up another patients address with mine) I never had any knowledge of the bill, otherwise I would have paid it immediately. I have tried disputing this with the original creditor and the collection agency as well. I had no luck. I went ahead and filed a dispute with Equifax. They said it would take 30 days. I 'm fairly new to this. I am still building credit. I'm freaking out a little cause I have worked really hard in maintaining my credit score. I have a few doubts:

1) Did I do the right thing, filing a dispute with Equifax?
2) The current situation I am in, the bill being sent to the wrong address and not know of it all along until it ends up in collection, is it common?
3) Am I supposed to pay the collection agency what is owed or wait on Equifax to reply back in 30 days?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

"Not receiving the bill" usually will not be a valid reason for your defense. (it should be, but on the other hand people could just say they never received a bill).

Wait until the results of the dispute are back. If it is not found to be in your favor, contact the debt collector and offer a "pay for delete agreement" so do some reading on them. Also read up on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) and contact a FDCPA law firm for a consult if you feel it necessary.

When you contacted the Medical provider and the collection company, you should NOT have been "disputing" the bill, because it was your bill. Maybe start over again by contacting the medical provider, politely explaining the situation and asking them if they will pull it back from collections in exchange for your payment. They will probably say no, but it is worth a try. Then contact the collection company and tell them you will pay the bill in full if they promise to remove it from your reports, over a $25 bill, you may not have success with that either. Maybe a FDCPA attorney will be your best bet if you can find any violations. Even if you cannot, maybe contact a FDCPA attorney anyway and explain this situation, they may be able to help you with this as it is unjust.