Question

MsAceyourface

How do I get my exhusband's bad debt from a joint account off my report?!
We divorced 3-4 years ago. I had cosigned so he could qualify for a best buy credit card several years before. After our divorce he stopped all contact with me and I have no access to his best buy account, though on my credit report it's still listed as a joint account. He let this card go into serious debt and its been closed and put in collections. I hadn't heard from him in a couple years and he recently messaged me to let me know best buy is sending him letters and phone calls regarding this but he was somehow able to talk them down, yeah right. He also tried to sneakily get me to pay it by just talking around it and saying he would give me the contact info to work out payments. I didn't buy it for one second, I have my own individual best buy card and it is current and I was even able to raise the credit limit. I am in good standing with that one. I know it was his card. The other day a debt collector called my sister looking for my ex, we don't know where he is and haven't seen him in a few years now. The thing is, they aren't calling looking for me, no one has tried to contact me or get money from me, I am pretty sure he is the primary user. I recently disputed the card because I am divorced and I refuse to pay his debt. I know technically because it is a joint account I am still liable. So my question is, what do I do to get this off my credit report? How do I get off this account? I am worried that if he gets desperate enough and files bankruptcy that it's going to ruin the progress I have made since I first saw his debt affecting my credit score. I am also concerned because my dispute is completed and all Transunion did was charge it off as bad debt. I read that having a charge off on your report is not good and can hinder being able to be approved for credit cards. I don't even know who to contact to ask to be taken off the account and I am concerned that if I do call them, they are going to expect me to start paying. Any help would be much appreciated.