Question

Tamrawoo

How do I get my ex-husbands mortgage OFF my history?
my name is not on the deed to the house. Legally via divorce, I have documents that state I am not financially responsible. I've written to the mortgage company to ask about my options and they will not respond. It affects my credit score because my debt to income ratio looks impossible - it is!

It doesn't come off

What you have legally via the divorce is an agreement that your ex-husband will pay the debt on the house that you are legally jointly responsible for.  The mortgage company was not a party to that agreement and your responsibility to them is not affected by the agreement between you and your ex-husband.  The only way to get your name off the mortgage is for your ex to pay it off or re-finance it.  I believe you could put a note on your credit files however, saying that you are divorced and that you are not financially responsible for these payments.  It would not affect your credit score but would be seen by those who request your credit reports.

P.S. I wasnt' aware that your credit score is affected by your debt to income ratio.  This site says that it is not affected by that.

Mortgage

My fiancé and I broke up. We built a house together and I found out the bank never put my name on title! So, I'm responsible for the mortgage but actually don't have legal rights to the house. How can I get my name off of the mortgage and the mortgage erased from my credit history as he has made late payments. Which I also just found out. I'm frustrated this was considered my first home and now I have nothing to show for it. I guess I trusted the bank. Any help you can offer would be great.