Question

Jessi71389

How can I raise my score from high 600's to about 750?
I really want to move my credit score up to mid 700's to feel independent. I recently went to try to buy a car and couldn't get a loan to save my life. On CK I have a score of 685 for TransUnion and 694 for Equifax. I am not in collections and I am in good standing with all my credit lines. My credit utilization is always less than 10%. I have 3 credit lines; Capital One Platinum(secured credit card), Kay Jewlerys, auto loan(closed). I have never been above 700. I really don't know how to get there. I need help. I thought about getting a personal loan just to have another "installment loan," but I am not sure it will even help.

Building it will take time. The number of reported credit factors seems low with only 2 and an auto loan.  But gaining more will drop your score in the short run.  I would look at trying to get a non-secured credit card, behaps talking to Capitol one would be a place to start and see what will offer. Basically to me it seems the best way to gain credit is to take a hit now (hard inquiries take two years to come off, and average age of credit will lower)  and get more avalable credit and more lines of it.

The installment loan will do the same in regards to the inquiries and age, but the issue with that is that it will close and drop off at some point.  It will help in a year or so, but i would look at the non-secured credit card first.

Something isn't quite right here... You don't have any baddies, utilization is in check and you had previous auto loan experience, but you can't get a auto loan now? There could be something else preventing you from obtaining auto loan other than your credit scores/report. Even though those might not be FICO scores, nonetheless, they are solid scores, with your streamlined credit profiles there should be much less variations between FICO and Vantage 3. If you couldn't get a auto loan with 690 scores? Then 750 isn't going to help much, other than less interest rate and higher loan amount, aprovals shouldn't hinges on whether you have 690 or 750 scores, after all, auto loan is one of easiest line of credit to obtain.

-

To answer your question, since you already had a secured card? Getting a installment loan isn't most ideal ways to build credit, like what Nomadre said, once the loan is paid, your score would take a hit. Getting 1~2 unsecured card would be helpful, but not in the short term, your score would take hit from inquiries and new accounts, might take 3~4 months for your scores to recover. And most important ingredients to have high scores? time.

You only have 2 open accounts, that is a problem. Three credit cards and one installment loan that are all open and reported to the three credit bureaus are just the BASIC credit building tools. Check your FICO scores to see where they are. Start reading everything that you can about how to build and maintain good credit. Is your income and debt to income ok? Did you apply for a car that is priced within your means? Do you know that there are auto lenders for just about every credit situation? Some dealerships may only utilize strict lenders while other may have many lenient lenders at hand.