Question

JonDagata

How can I maximize my positive credit impact while paying off student loans?
Hi,

So I would like to know the best way to increase my credit score while paying off student loans. Here are some details:

I only owe about $2500 left.
My payments are $50 a month.
Each time I make a payment it's usually around $200 dollars.
The status of my loans say:
Amount Paid Ahead:$350.00
Next Required Payment:09/27/2014

So it looks like each time I make a payment, that's more than my required amount, it pushes my next payment date further.

What would be better in my specific situation? If I were to pay my loans down to say $10 and then not pay anything and let the interest build on that $10, would that be better than paying my loans off completely? My theory is that if I pay my loans off, my account will close and be paid off, but if I leave it open with a small amount, it will extend the length of the account, and extend the number of on time payments.

Is this accurate? What is the best course of action?

Most Helpful Response

Keep up what you are doing, Pay the debt down. The sooner you have it paid off the better.
Don't leave anything on the acco**** to gain history with that type of account.

Can I ask why this account type is differnet than others?