How can I contact my collection accounts and try to get them taken off
I need help with these few things so I can rebuild my credit faster than what it is doing now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. what are the public records? I have a score of 514 and I'm trying desperately to build it up. I was able to get a car loan through capital one but yet I can't get approved for a credit card. Just don't understand this credit system.

Most Helpful Response

Part of your credit history.

Sorry, but the Fair Credit Reporting Act requires that credit transactions be included in credit reports for 7 years and up to 10 in case of a bankruptcy.  There is no way they can be taken off before then.

Public records are things such as having filed a bankruptcy, having a lien placed on property, paying child support and the like that had to go through some court action to be reported.  They stay for a long time, depending on the action taken.

Why did you get a car loan and not a credit card?  A car loan is considered a "secured" loan in that you purchased something of value that can be taken if you don't make the payments.  The loaner can alway recover some money that way.  A credit card is an "unsecured" loan in that you'd be able to get an airline ticket, a meal at McDonald's or other similar transactions and there would be nothing material for the loaner to recover. 

Now, you might consider going for a "secured" credit card to help build your credit.  There are some available through Capital One and other institutions.  You depopsit an amount of money (when I did one years ago it was $200) in the institutions trust and they issue a credit card with a limit of possibly double that amount.  Your history of use and repayment with this card will reflect well or poorly on your account, depending on how well you use it.  Over time, your credit limit may be increased and your credit score will improve.

It may take a little time, but be patient and try some of the financial tools on this site (see the margin to the left) so you can do "what if" analysis without the financial risk.  Patience is the key.