Question

TexasBlake

Grad Student Trying to Make Good Credit Score Better
I'm in my last semester of grad school, and I want to increase my credit score. I currently have one open credit card that is four moths old. I have made all of my payments on time and kept my utilization low. I have also taken out a $25,000 private student loan to fund my last semester of grad school. My current credit score is 720 - not bad, but I would like to make it higher (don't we all?). I have two questions:

1) How will my credit score be affected if I pay off my student loan early (1-2 years after graduating)?

2) Will opening an additional credit card at this time help or hurt my credit score in the short run vs. long run? Keep in mind, my other credit card and the student loan have been opened in the last 4 months, so I'm wondering if it is worth waiting a year or so before I open another credit account.