Question

Desertsp

Grace period for multiple inquiries?
I applied for an auto loan just to see what I would be approved for (USAA customer service wouldn't even take a guess without running a hard inquiry).

When I re-apply for the actual loan, potentially months from now, will that initial hard-inquiry hurt me?

I understand that "loan shopping" is tolerated but only within a certain window of time I am buying used car with a specific make/model/year, so it's going to take months to find the right vehicle to buy. What's the risk that I'll be in a higher interest rate bracket the second application?

Most Helpful Response

The window that some creditors use is 14 days, while others don't allow any window whatsoever.    The minor drop of hard inquiry should have no major damage to your credit score unless you do a massive amount or your score is fairly low.    When there is a hard inquiry on your account which does not result in an account, it gives some indication that you were turned down as opposed to the other way around.   Some creditors then look hard to see why you were turned down, others look at the numbers (Utilization, payments, etc.) although if if report is good overall, there would be no need to worry.