Question

RickyC07

Does prequalifying affect your credit score?
I am in the process of filing bankruptcy, my hearing is on December 29, and I received a pre qualification offer here on CK. I submitted the pre qualification form and was denied because my bankruptcy hasn't been discharged yet-I was expecting that. What I want to know is: will my credit score be affected by submitting the pre qualification form to see if I would qualify for the credit card? Will this show on my credit report as an inquiry? The webpage said they don't pull a hard inquiry, but I am not sure if it would still affect my credit score.

Most Helpful Response

A pre-qualification is processed using a soft inquiry, just like Credit Karma uses to retrieve your score. This will not affect your score. If you proceed past the pre-qualification stage, and submit an actual loan application, that will constitute a hard inquiry. Hope this clears up any confusion!

Will the pre qualification show on my credit report?

Hi RickyC07,

Potential lenders cannot see the soft inquiries on your credit report. You can see the soft inquiries on your own report, depending on where you retrieve the report from and which bureau maintains it.