Question

br4t

does getting a tpd on student loans change your credit rating?
I applied for and was accepted for a tpd on my student loans, and therefor will no longer have to pay them. What I don't know is, if that will help my credit score. My student debt is a large amount of my problem score that I am trying to correct.

Most Helpful Response

My loans were Federal.

And due to health issues, I had to file for Permanent and total disability discharge.  Because there were lots of late payments already on the books, there was a bit of wait for them to be cleared up and my score did improve a lot after the discharge.

Only somewhat...

A TPD (after the proper paperwork is filled out) will effectively dismiss your need to repay any FEDERAL student loan debt.  If you obtained any other type of loan, those are not necessarily dismissed.  I'm not an expert in all of that.  You may want to ask this question again under the "Student Loan" category.