Question

Boringo85

Dealership asking me to do their on-line pre-approval. buying in 3 months. Will this hurt my credit?
I know the year, model and price of the used (CPO) car that I want and the dealership website is always asking me to do their on-line pre-approval form so I know how much car i can afford. Will doing that put a hard inquiry on my report that will count against me? Also, I am not planning to purchase the car for another three months when the price drops a little more, how long to pre-approvals usually last for (the dealer is Infinity)? My credit was horrible this time last year (560) but now CK shows me at 730.

Depends

If their site asks you for your SSN, then it will most likely result in a hard inquiry.

If they just ask for your name, income and proof of income, then it "most likely" won't result in a hard inquiry.

Generally, although not cast in stone, most auto financing and dealers do not pull soft inquiries. They usually do the hard pull.   Then, depending on what they find for their primary vendor, they'll be quick to perform a second for the actual  finance company.   Pulls that they do today will not be valid when you go back in 3-4 months for the actual application and they will be pulled again.   These second pulls will not be consolidated with the first pulls as they were not in close proximitiy which is usually considered 30 days for auto finance shopping.   Skip the prequalification unless it clearly shows on the web page that it is a soft pull and will not affect your credit score.   Then, print out a copy of that page in case it was wrong so you can use it in a dispute of the inquiry.   Even when at the dealership, you can come to an agreement of how many pulls they are allowed to perform and you would both sign this agreement.   Your sales person will be hesitant, although,  they can enter into such an agreement and you can hold them accountable.  Verbal agreements are non binding as there is no substantiation of the agreement.