Question

mousestomper

Convergent Collection Help
I've been diligently working on repairing my credit for the last year and have been having a lot of success. A little more than a year ago I was at mid-low 500s and now i'm at around 620. I printed out copies of each of the 3 credit bureau reports back in April of this year and looked over everything to make sure it was correct. All seems OK. Yesterday I received a letter from convergent outsourcing regarding an outstanding balance of just under $400 from JP Morgan Chase which I don't recall. I called Chase this morning and told them I knew nothing about this. They looked up the account and said that it was a charge off from 3/2010. I said I don't recall this account and they referred me back to convergent outsourcing which I've yet to speak to. I also asked if they report this to the credit bureaus to which they said no. When I asked if the collection agency would report, they said that I would have to ask them.

My question is this; If the debt is mine and has not been reported on my credit report, can the collection agency add this to it? I've been working so hard and it would really be a setback if Convergent were to report this. I'm not sure why Chase wouldn't have reported it in the first place. I just don't know whether to freak out about this or let it be and ignore it. I have no problem paying the debt, but if it won't get reported then I would opt to try to settle.

I live in Colorado, if that helps.

Thank you

Most Helpful Response

First off, don't try getting information over the phone.  The "phone drones" (those who do the answering) are well rehersed in answers to be given and are not the ones who can do much.  Send a letter (certified, return receipt requested) requesting validation of the debt to be received by you within 30 days.  If they do not respond, you do not pay.  Send this letter to Convergent, not Chase.

What you SHOULD be sent is a copy of the original contract/agreement that shows your signature, and Convergent knows this, so you don't have to tell them.  Since the account (JP Morgan Chase) is not on any of your credit reports (and it should show as a charge off if still collectable under Colorado statutes), I suspect this is an error they don't want to admit.  Wait for the validation to arrive before even considering making a payment.

It sounds as if you are making great strides in rebuilding your credit!!  Don't let weird things like this tear you down.   Keep making the annual check of your credit reports so you are on top of things.  

Any Update??

mousestomper

Have you gotten any update or gotten anywhere with convergence??

They just showed up on my credit report for a t-mobile bill, and I am trying to get them off.

So I am going to send them a DV and see if I get any reponse back, do you know what I should do in case they don't repsond back?

7freshstart7

Were you able to take care of this? I also have them on my t-movile report as of late last year and want to know if they work with you or not? T-Mobile had never reported it, these guys did. I disputed asking for all account details thru Experian but haven't heard anything back yet.