Collections account removed two months ago. Why and how do I pay?
4 years ago I was young and dumb and went to the Art Institutes for school. Loans through the Dept of Ed didn't cover the tuition so I ended up owing the school money. I didn't pay the school and it went into collections and has been there ever since. I FINALLY want to pay it off and to find out who my account is held by I logged on to CK. It says the collections account was removed. I don't know why or how. I know the art institute schools got sued a while ago and had to forgive a bunch of debts. Or the account is so old its getting sold off to someone else. I don't know what to do to find out. I'm hesitant to contact either the school or the creditor. But I obviously don't want to just let it go either, I know I still owed them money. All I want to do is settle my debt so I don't get sued and it doesn't follow me around anymore. But I don't want to get screwed by the school or the creditor. What do I do in this instance?